Monday, September 15, 2008

Hegel: Twisting Your Brain Since 1800

You know it's going to be a bad set of study questions when the first one is: "Did you find Hegel impossible to understand, almost impossible, or were you able to understand most of the material?"

It was only 12 questions on a 17-page chapter (after 15 on a 9-page chapter on Kant), but wow, it took me hours to get through them. Of course, part of the problem was that he asked about things that he really didn't reference much in the chapter. Warn a girl when she's going to need secondary sources, will you? Maybe then I could have gone to the library (closed on Sundays) instead of using Google and crossing my fingers.

But I got the questions done, and in the end, I was almost glad for them, despite the huge amount of time they took this weekend. Once I was finished, I understood Hegel a lot better than I had after simply reading the chapter. Guess that's what grad school is all about.

Speaking of homework, that felt like all I did this weekend (though I dimly recall making it to church). Wrote a paper Thursday night (due Wednesday), wrote a paper Friday night (due tomorrow), answered 27 study questions on Kant and Hegel (75-word minimum for each question - in the end, I wrote about 3,000 words for those, plus 1,500 for Matthew, plus 600 for KCW - 6,000 words in a weekend... not bad), plus studying for my Hebrew quizzes this week and memorizing vowels and some grammatical rules.

Now I'm in the library - I've been here for three hours this evening already (and that was after working for 8+ hours today)... I've been studying Hebrew and creating flashcards for my first set of vocabulary (quiz on Thursday - and we had a take-home quiz that will be turned in tomorrow... I did that tonight), and then I posted my 27 answers to the virtual campus forums for my Method & Praxis class. Next, I'll be editing the paper I wrote Friday night - it's a review/response to the book Methodical Bible Study by Robert A. Traina.

Fortunately, the library is open until midnight, because I have a feeling I'll be here until then.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Abbi, you're working so hard! I'm very proud of you.

Abigail said...

Awww, thanks! :D